It is a very busy day for me today! I had to stop at Walgreen and the library this afternoon after my son’s doctors appointment, I am now doing the laundry, and it will be followed by homework time, a visit to the playground, dinner, and bath time. Then hopefully my son will fall asleep early and give me some much needed mommy time.
Since I don’t have any finished projects yet, I will share something from a few months ago. I made this cowl in December using some Red Heart Super Saver Yarn in purple. It’s a very basic seed stitch cowl on size US 17 needles worked back and forth. I used a provisional cast on and used the Kitchener stitch to seem the ends together.
I’m still making the Big Snowy Owl for my son, but I’ve been busy these last few days and haven’t had time to knit. I’m hoping that after today’s nine loads of laundry (it’s a lot of clothes), I will be able to work on the owl for an hour or two before I go to bed tonight.
First thing I made this week was an owl for my son. He named it Oscar.
Next thing I made was a quick shamrock pin for today.
My next project is a big blue owl, and I plan to use the Big Snowy Owl pattern from the Purl Bee website.
Last year I planted a pineapple and it grew into a beautiful plant, and this year I am going to grow a second plant.
Step 1: Buy a pineapple that has green fresh looking leaves on top with minimal damage and no browning or yellow leaves.
Step 2: Twist off the top of the pineapple and separate the fruit from the plant part.
Step 3: Remove about an inch of the bottom leaves. This will reveal a yellow section full of brown dots. This is where the roots will grow from.
Step 4: Now you have to flatten the bottom and remove the fruit that remains. If you don’t remove it, it will rot.
Step 5: Now put your plant in a cup of water and place in a well lit area. I will keep it in my kitchen, and once the roots fill the cup it will go in some dirt outside. Also, don’t forget to enjoy your fruit!
Finally, here is my plant from last year. It grew in a four inch plastic pot outside my door, and I just transferred it this week. I hope it grows a bit more this year.
I stopped by Walmart this afternoon and picked up a nice green pineapple and I’ve decided to plant another one this year. Last year I planted a pretty big pineapple that was the few plants that survived the winter and is still thriving today. I even moved it to a bigger planter this afternoon.
I’ve already prepared the pineapple I got today, but I want to dig up some pictures from last year to show how the plant should look in af few weeks. So if you’re reading this today, please come back tomorrow and check out the step by step directions I have with pictures of the entire process. Thanks.
As part of our Spring Break activities my son and I went on a flower hunt at our apartment. Here are the results of our hunt.
I am officially done with my tote. Tonight I added a lining and weaved all my ends.
To make the tote I used less than a skein of Red Heart yarn in pink, and scraps of black and beige yarn for the embroidery. The lining was made with an old white t-shirt I’ve had for a while that I never got around to throwing out. I tried my best to photograph my progress as I made the tote.
This was the drawing I made before knitting the bag. I knew I wanted to add birds and spirals to make it look more Spring-like.
As you can see, the embroidery grew from the sides in, bottom to top, saving the birds for last.
Finally, I cut the rectangle for the lining, sewed it up like a pillowcase, and pinned it the inside of the purse. I machine sewed the lining but I attached it to the knit purse by hand sewing all the way around twice to ensure it will stay pieced together.
And that’s it, my pink tote is ready to use. I am planning to design some more purses this summer with different designs. If you’d like the knitting pattern for the tote I will be glad to share it, just message me.
Now that Spring is just around the corner I find that I am in need of a fun springtime purse, and like always, if I don’t own it then I shall make it. After rummaging through my big bag of yarn, I decided to use a pink Red Heart yarn for the tote and black for the embroidery. So far I have completed the tote, and I will add the embroidery this weekend.