It feels like it’s been forever since I last finished a project! I have been casting on way too many projects lately, and I think at this rate I will never get anything finished. Because I really enjoy the feeling from finishing a project, I have made a new rule/guideline for myself. I will pick one project to work on, and will not work on any other project until that one project is finished. Technically I am doing this in regards to my sewing, since I will not start cutting the fabric for my needle holders until I am finished with my messenger bag (which may not be for a while since I have not touched it since Sunday).
I followed my new rule yesterday by casting on hat five of my Hat a Week Project, and I did not work on any other project until I finished the hat this afternoon. The hat is the Trinity Stitch Hat in Bernat Satin Sport yarn in the color wine. It looks very nice, but I hated working with two yarns at the same time, especially with all the bobbles. The top of the hat looks a bit wonky since the magic loop method didn’t work very well to close the hat, I ended up having to switch to dpns. I also found two areas where I apparently dropped one of the yarns, but this was pretty easy to fix and conceal because of all the bobbles. The hat is very slouchy, and Anthony called my Rasta style hat. I think it looks awesome, and it is so soft and drapy. I wish I had made the Spring Beret with a softer yarn. I imagine that it would have looked much better in either Caron Simply Soft or Red Heart Soft Yarn. Well, here are a few pics of the hat. I didn’t take pictures of the hat on the needles, since I mostly worked on it at night and early morning when the sun could not provide very good lighting. I have noticed that the pictures I take at night do not do my yarns justice.
After I made the hat I picked up a blue Autobot square I have not worked on for a while, and I finished that pretty quickly. I was pretty excited to work on it since I got to use my new row counter (I love my row counter!). I will try to finish the five Decepticon squares I am working on either tonight or tomorrow. After I am done with those I will switch to my socks, which I have almost finished. Once the socks are finished, the only thing I will have left on the needles is my mom’s sleeveless shell. I will probably stick with the shell for about a week or two and try to get it finished by this time next month when she comes to visit.
This Mother’s Day was awesome! I got some funds from my mom and my hubby, and I went shopping, of course. First I went to Yarnivore, by myself (gasp!), and I found some sock yarn for my Monkeys, it is called On Your Toes Bamboo. The yarn color is seashell multi which is a mixture of pink, blue, and cream. I think they are going to look awesome, and I can’t wait to cast on! I also got some Feza Baby Yarn in pink. I got two balls, which is enough to make a vest/tank so I am going to make the Sexy Vesty by Canary Knits. Also, I have chosen a pattern for my Hat a Week Project. It will be the Trinity Stitch Hat . I will use that dreaded Bernat Satin Sport yarn in the wine colorway. I have decided that this yarn will just have to go on and become hats. I am seriously tired of ripping it out and making it into yarn balls again and again! Well, I will take pics of the gifts I got later and post them. Did I mention I got some sock needles and a row counter? I also got Peanut several books from Half Price Books.
I have also started sewing some things! I started sewing a messenger bag that I was making in 2005. I don’t remember why I stopped making the bag, but I have decided to finish it. On Sunday night I got most of the body finished up, but then I had to stop sewing since Anthony was falling asleep. I have plenty of yarn left over, so I will use it to make a needle case holder for all my straight needles, double pointed needles, and crochet hooks. I am still contemplating whether I will make three separate cases or one big case. It will all depend on how much fabric I have to work with. I started to take measurements, but Peanut decided that he wanted to use my measuring tape to play with, so I had to admit defeat. I will try to finish the bag this afternoon, and will hopefully get the needle cases started.
Here are some pics of my the front half of my mom’s sleeveless shell. I have finished all the lace, and am now working the boring stockinette stitch. I am eager to finish boring St st so that I can start the lace for the back of the shell.
I finally took a picture of the Finding Nemo fish hat! It has been finished for a while, I just need to wash it now (notice how it doesn’t hang down in the back). Once I get the hat washed the yarn will soften up and it will look a lot better.
I am really excited about my pompom peds. I was afraid to run out of yarn, so I stopped knitting the first sock and put it on a circular needle for now. Meanwhile, I have started knitting the second sock on the dpns. I wish I had two sets of size 2 dpns so that I could knit the socks at the same time, but I don’t really NEED the extra sets of dpns. Hmm… once I start knitting more socks I will have to ask for double sets for Christmas or something. Anyhow, Here is where I am on the socks so far.
The Transformers Afghan is taking a while, but now I am taking my time on it. When I started making it I was stressed out about finishing it quickly, but I realized that as soon as I finish it I will want to make another large project, and I can’t d that for two reasons. One, I don’t have a pattern for anything large that I want to make. Two, I can’t afford to buy yarn for any large projects. The first picture is of an Autobot square, and the second picture is of five Decepticon squares on one circular needle. I don’t know why I didn’t think about knitting more than one square at a time. I thought that I would get my yarn tangled, but I placed each ball of yarn in a separate bag. Problem solved, no tangles!